Tuesday, June 28, 2011

TC0001: The Command Prompt

Over the course of a twenty-six year career in America’s most trusted institution, the United States Military,  I have had the opportunity to study all kinds of leaders and authoritarians.  In the decade since I left the military I have worked for and with small technology companies and defense industry giants.  I have started three companies and been the mid wife at several other entrepreneurial births.  In every case, the difference between success and failure has been two things: leadership and decision making. 

I will admit that I am predisposed to thinking in terms of leadership and decision making; those are the components of what the military calls Command.  Command is defined as to direct with authority.  This is a very simple definition with great depth. 

The purpose of this blog is to share my thoughts on command and its relevance to business, government, nonprofits and community service.  It has been often said that military leadership is to leadership as military music is to music.  I hope I can dispel that misconception and show that the tactics, techniques and procedures inculcated in military leaders is every bit as applicable to organizing the church bizarre as to leading a platoon in combat.  What the leaders wants to accomplish in both cases is mission accomplishment at minimum cost.  The only difference is the nature of that outcome. 

I hope you find this blog useful and please feel free to share your comments.     I look forward to the dialog.  Dan Nolan


Next Post: Defining our Terms

No comments:

Post a Comment